(International) What is a 1042-S form?

Note: Symphonic is not a legal or tax authority. We do not give legal or tax advice. Symphonic simply reports and provides information as per what we've been instructed to. Please consult a tax professional or legal authority for advice and direction.


At the end of every calendar year, Symphonic will send you a 1042-S form. This form is informational and summarizes your royalties earned and any tax withholding for the previous calendar year. It is standard practice for US companies to issue form 1042-S to foreign individuals and entities. This form is the equivalent of receiving a 1099-MISC form in the US for US recipients. Please consult a local tax advisor with any questions, as Symphonic is unable to give tax advice.

Official US IRS explanation: Form 1042-S is used to report amounts paid to foreign persons (including persons presumed to be foreign) that are subject to income tax withholding, even if no amount is deducted and withheld from the payment because of a treaty or exception to taxation, or if any amount withheld was repaid to the payee.

Will I always get a 1042-S every year?

You will only receive a 1042-S form if we have received your Tax details and you earned royalties during a calendar year. If you did not receive a 1042-S form, it is potentially because you did not earn any revenue during the calendar year that pertains to the 1042-S form.


When will I receive my annual 1042-S tax form?

1042-S forms are sent to non-US-based individuals and entities following the end of the calendar year. Please keep your email address and other contact information up to date in your Symphonic account to avoid any delays in receiving your tax forms.


My 1042-S is incorrect. What do I do?

If you have received a 1042-S and you believe the dollar amount, name, or Tax ID number is incorrect, please contact our team here.


Will you retain copies of my 1042-S?

We will retain copies of a 1042-S form for one year in the event that you lose and/or do not originally receive it. Please contact our team to request a copy of your tax forms.


Will you send 1042-S forms to my SplitShare payees?

No. You are responsible for gathering W8-BEN forms and sending out 1042-S forms to your SplitShare payees. SplitShare payees are clients of accounts distributed by Symphonic, i.e., you.

Was this article helpful?
3 out of 3 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Article is closed for comments.