Have a clear idea of when you will have your mastered audio and track or album art in hand before selecting a release date. Oftentimes things come up in the production process so you’ll want to give yourself ample time to set up your release. We also highly recommend staying on cycle and releasing only on Fridays. This will increase the likelihood of playlist placement.
The required lead time is no less than 4 weeks, 6 weeks is ideal for delivery of release AND marketing drivers. This gives Symphonic time to ingest and approve releases, DSPs time to receive them, and playlist editors time to receive pitches and live with a release before deciding whether to feature or place on playlists.
This is a suggested timeline with loose action items to help maximize your release.
6 weeks before release date
- Submit release in MS
- Submit Playlist Pitching Form
- Secure venue for listening event or release show and promote
4 weeks before release date
- Secure media partner to premiere release
- Initiate pre-save/pre-sale campaign - Please create a Help Request to obtain partner release links
- Share pre-save/pre-sale on socials and CRM
3 weeks before release date
- Enlist influencers, friends, family, fans, colleagues to share
- Pitch your release in Spotify For Artists platform to promote algorithmic playlist potential
2 weeks before release date
- Continue sharing
Week of release
- Premiere the release on your media partner’s site or radio station, Youtube channel, etc.
- Throw your listening party, release show, etc.
- Share across ALL socials + CRM - don’t be shy about CTA fans to stream / DL
- Share any DSP pickup and other support, be sure to tag and thank anyone who has supported / featured the release
- Repost fan shares
- Repeat everything from the release date
- Run CTA/UGC campaigns with incentive for fans
Other components that are helpful are called marketing drivers which you will include and submit to our team through the Playlist Pitching Form:
- Premieres on media outlets and general press pick-ups
- Radio campaigns or plays from direct DJ relationships and other DJ support
- Music videos
- Tour dates and other POI - “shared stages with”, notable festival appearances etc.
- Charting, ie. Hype Machine, iTunes, Billboard, etc.
- Third party Spotify playlists
- DSP playlist placement and features
- Social media follower and engagement
- Brand and media partnerships
- Advertising to be run for this release
- Other marketing campaigns - wildposting, print, etc.
- Pre-save and pre-sale campaign data (iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp, etc.)
- Sync and other licensing information
- Other artist development POIs - management, booking agent, TV/film appearances, etc.
Send marketing driver updates regularly to CM. Also notify CM of submission to MS etc.
It is essential that you and your team promote the release. Please make use of our tools - Pre-save links, etc.
Here are some suggestions for promoting your release. Take a dive in and think about which ideas make the most sense for your release. Get creative and customize them to your brand and your audience.
- Pre-save/Pre-sale campaign
- Countdown to release on socials
- CTA to fans on socials - directly asking them to pre-save, DL, view, etc.
- Offer incentives to fans - Instant Grats, merch packs, exclusive tracks, autographed items, VIP meet and greets
- Invite other artists, friends, influencers to share the release on their socials and do the same for them
- Create artists playlists on Spotify, etc.
- Partner with other distributors: Noisetrade, VNYL, etc.
- CRM - collect emails and send out newsletters via Mailchimp etc. inviting fans to pre-save, download, view etc.
- Be sure all DSP and social profiles are up to date, verified where possible, and consistent
- Update all tour dates and enable direct messaging on Bandsintown
- Consider expanding digital real estate - join and utilize TikTok, Triller, Snapchat etc. if your audience
If you need additional support or Please submit a request Here.
- Playlist pitching form