Who else has these regulations and requires these forms?

Any company that makes payments of U.S. sourced income (sales or streams) to a foreign person/entity is responsible for the withholding and reporting of such sales or streams made in the U.S. under U.S. tax code and Regulations. This also goes for any company located in a foreign country paying to U.S and/or a foreign company paying to a country outside of its own.

Companies like iTunes, Beatport, Traxsource also have to abide by these same regulations based on where they are located. Every USA company has to have a W8-BEN on file with a date of birth and/or EIN/ITIN and withhold based on the country where they are located. There is no exception to this rule.

International companies and distributors also have their own tax rules and with Brexit and other complicated changes, there is no way around taxes and no distributor can pay you without any tax implication. If any distributor ever says that tax rules do not apply to them, you should consult your attorney or tax consultants because that is incorrect and could land you in issues.

Was this article helpful?
3 out of 3 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.