You are earning performance royalties when your songs are being broadcasted and publicly performed in some way. This includes if your song is:
- played on terrestrial radio (think 93.3 FLZ)
- played on internet radio
- played on online streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, etc.
- played in clubs and performed live in venues (whether by you as a performer, by a DJ in a club in Sweden, or a cover band in a pub in Nashville)
- played in businesses (retail stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.) as background music
- played on TV (an episode of a show, on a sports channel, in an advertisement, etc.)